Thursday, September 15, 2005

dredged up....

Some works from last month. I was planning on expanding this story. It's heterosexual in nature, so it shouldn't offend TOO many of you. The original story was written for the MPH Young Writer's Search competition. My other story got shortlisted. As for this one, the original was a little less explicit, as you can probably tell. Notable about this post is that it was when I first figured out how to hide words in plain sight. Like, literally. Whatever.

Anyways, here's the post in whole full length glory.

Decided to write a little interesting something. You will notice a few long blank places. These are where explicit content is written, hidden so as not to offend conservative/underaged readers (do I have any of those?). If you want to read it, you know what to do. Anyways, here goes:

Leaving Behind

The year is 2030. Unlike the reality predicted by the ‘experts’, the world is not going to last for another 2000 years. Multiple misunderstandings and swift responses from the various warring clans that sprung up soon after the fall of the United Nations in 2015 had caused obliteration of whole populations. Large impact craters are all that were left of the nations that had refused to ally themselves to any of the clans. In fact, it was the apathy of these very nations that had caused the downfall of the old world order. In its place, a conglomerate of the world’s richest and most powerful people, who had for some reason or another refused to join with the clans, formed the Global Evacuation Initiative, or the GEI. With the resources at hand, they created a massive orbital relay station, with the intention to transport a select group of individuals through the warp technology developed to traverse wide distances instantaneously to a distant galaxy.

How do I fit into this picture? I am one of the select group of people to join the GEI’s plan on planetary relocation. It is not surprising that the majority of people chosen for this grand scheme were young people, mostly those aged below 18. No surprise at all, seeing how they were the least tainted by the clans’ propaganda. Also, it helped that I was one of the many young people who had been the brains behind developing the warp technology that would be our way to a better future for humankind. Educational quality had gone up considerably since the early 2000s. At levels once considered attainable only by elderly academicians, teenagers as young as 15 were making stunning discoveries in various scientific fields. Through their schemes, jealous older scholars had instigated the global leadership stance leading to the current situation.

I pack my personal effects into my extremely compact spatial-dynamics pack, a particularly useful invention of mine. My mind wanders to the realities of this now hostile world. Tears began to well up behind my dark eyes, with anger at the adults who were supposed to guide us but were too busy killing each other, sadness at having to leave my homeworld, and relief that I would soon be on another planet, where it had to be better than whatever was going on here. The pack floats gently over my bed, filled to the brim with all my essentials. I clip the palm sized device onto my left pocket, and sighing, took a good final look around the room in the GEI’s institute where I had spent the last 15 years of my 16 year life.

As my six foot frame stepped out onto the tree-sheltered boulevards that ran through the institute, I gazed beyond the laser fencing into the ruined townscape. What once used to be a gleaming city full of spectacular structures and literal floating gardens was now reminiscent of a 1990s doomsday movie. Maybe this was the very thing envisioned by the writers. Indeed, the only reason the institute was intact at all was because of the barrier shields placed around the perimeter, behind which we watched as the enemy clan warships dropped hydrogen bombs on the city. I brushed the images out of my head and continued towards the shimmering warp portal that would take me to the gathering point for the warp launch.

As I step onto the deck of the waiting area, a familiar hand clasps mine. Carmen, my sweetheart, grins wildly at me. Her beautiful face glimmers with the hope of a new future far away from marauding clan troops and the deafening hydrogen bombs. She had been the head scholar for work on the teleportation calculations, such a head for numbers as she had, and a beautiful head it was. It was there that I met her, and it was love at first sight. How the top scholar had fallen for a lowly mechanist was beyond me, but through her guidance and status, I accelerated through the ranks and became lead researcher for the warp engine design. With her as my muse, the design proceeded rapidly and the engine was ready in about a third of the expected two years. Of course, besides the intellectual tutelage, she was most invaluable in my studies of the more romantic nature, with many practical demonstrations, reinforced by playful touches in suggestive locations whenever we were together.

I pull her into a convenient corner room of the transport platform. Her soft hands trace a pattern on my back. She looks delightful in the leather outfit, even more so in this dimmed light. Our lips press close to each other. A slight intrusion from her part adds to the sensations of the moment. An increasing heat adds to the furiousity of the exchange. Her flesh is every bit as sweet as I remembered it last. Even with the bleak reality in the back of the people's minds, passion is every bit the part the concern of hormonal teenagers. We are no exceptions. My fingers sneak their way past the restrictive material of her clothes. She likewise has her delicate hands assist me out of my now suddenly uncomfortable pants. The falling of the fabric is in time with the unclasping of her gauzy undergarments, previously held up by luciously fruitful but not overabundant spherical forms. The passionate kissing does not slow down one bit throughout this. As our naked flesh presses together, the playful groping intensifies. I poise myself to take a downward strike.

I am knocked out of my reverie by a sharp explosion that rocks the entire platform. Figments of the imagination run wild in times like this. As it is the situation runs back to the current pressing issues. It seems that the clan warlords have issues about us leaving the planet with the only technology that could save anyone from the oncoming global apocalypse. Through the blackened windshield, we can see multiple scores of clan gunships flying towards us. A frantic alarm is sounded, and GEI fighters, what few we had, respond. The brave pilots who had not succumbed to clan propaganda had pledged their lives to seeing the GEI plan come to fruition. Many had children who were within the GEI’s select group. Carmen’s father is one of them.

As the GEI fighters cover us, the transport platform lifts off. Through the explosions, we can see our defenders fall like the noble warriors they were. I hold Carmen tight as she weeps silent tears as her father’s fighter goes down. In his sacrifice, an entire clan cruiser was downed, buying the transport enough time to leave the atmosphere. We approach the awaiting orbital relay, and even through the vacuum of space we can feel the shuddering of the titanic mechanisms latching onto the transport.

The shield barriers around the orbital relay go up. The reality beyond the shield begins to twist as the warp engine builds up the force needed to teleport us to that distant galaxy. The clan gunships blur out of vision as an ethereal silence descends on the relay. I kiss her softly, whispering the tales of a future yet to come. Her silent reply reflects that of all the others that have made it with us today: that what we have left behind is a reality now past, and the reality yet to come will be what we make of it, a future that we hope will not mirror our past. And there will be time enough to fulfill our fantasies with each other.

Done. There. I hope those of you interested enough would have read the censored bits, though I do not advocate doing so to those under aged. Of course, I always like all my work to be crituqued, and all feedback is most welcome. Evon, if you read the blacked out bits, don't take it too literally, lolz. It's writing. Not reality. And my reality is usually a lot kinkier and sexier than that, lolz. I love you, darling.

Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home